Sunday, August 02, 2009

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

So, nobody really blogs anymore, which leads to nobody commenting (no comments on this entire page), which leads again to no one blogging because nobody is reading them. I blame Twitter for all of this. Everyone is now getting their thoughts out too quickly, and there is nothing to write a more than 160 character message. I was on Twitter for like a week, but I'm sorry, I have a hard time not getting angry when someone thinks that where they are eating lunch is interesting information, or that I want to know how many hours of sleep they got, or that they aren't doing anything (but should be). At least with blogs the narcissism built up enough to hopefully create an interesting human experience when it was typed out.

I have often wondered if having a blog is a good thing for someone who likes to write. Sometimes energy that could be used for writing in my notebook is spent here instead, and maybe sometimes those thoughts and ideas should ferment before being shared. Not that it wouldn't be alright to use ideas in a story that have been blogged about before, but you would just be re-hashing old ideas, and I have noticed that when I write about something and it is read, those ideas leave my brain and no longer evolve. Maybe they should just be kept inside until the right time. After seeing the world of Twitter, I am seeing more clearly the merit of someone who doesn't say anything unless it's worth saying.

I was actually planning on this being a June and July recap, but I think I talked myself out of it.

8 comments:

Chelsea Lane said...

So after a prompt like that, who can read this and not leave a comment?

I am torn between defending Twitter and lighting more torches to burn it to the ground. Because it's more fun, hand me a torch.

People always talk about the audacity of a writer-- how there is a pretty sizable level of megolamania going on to assume that their thoughts are something that people are so interested in that they'll take 10, 15, 30 minutes out of a day to read random musings, but Twitter takes it to a whole new level. Granted, there are people who Twitter neat things, but most of the ones that I've been sending and receiving lately are things like, "Off to the gym!" and "Going to lunch. Food is good." Do we really care? Lately, I have been leaning more in the direction that no, I do not care.

I'm learning. I'll blog soon, too.

Brandi said...

Now Jer, you know I love your blog and I check/read it at least once a month . . . but I have to say, I find it ironic that you are socially networking by blogging for your friends to read and in this paticular blog you are complaining about social networking sites where people write stuff for thier friends to read. haha <3

Johnny X said...

Well, that was kind of the point to the post. I am not so sure about this whole thing anymore, which is why I didn't do my monthly recap.

After experiencing Twitter I am weary of all this instant publishing of your thoughts (on any site, not just Twitter). I wasn't excusing my blog; the post was about the irony.

Like I said, after seeing Twitter I am realizing that maybe I should keep my own thoughts to myself as well.

Strude said...

I agree. Twitter, Facebook (where people use their status updates in much the same way they use Twitter), and blogs have given people a voice where they didn't have one before. Problem is, very few put any effort or thought into this voice. Any ass with a keyboard can tweet. Any schmuck can blog. Even I have been guilty of just throwing crap against the wall because I haven't blogged in a while or my Facebook status has been, "Just ripped a stinker," for the past week.

What we need to remember is Twitter, Facebook, and blogs are simply tools. Sure, a lot of tools use these tools and the cacophony of nonsense can be deafening at times, but they are only tools.

So, the question becomes, how do you want to use the tool? Don't let the tool dictate how you use it. Don't let the blog steal ideas that need to marinate longer. Don't let it burn stories, thoughts and ideas that would be put to better use in another forum.

When I first started my blog almost 5 years ago, it was the perfect forum for me to vent about my horrible job. It made showing to up to the Hell Hole tolerable. Now that I actually have a job I enjoy, I don't write there much anymore. And the stuff I have put there recently is just the crap I have thrown against the wall.

So, how do you want to use the tool? As for my own blog I don't know the answer to that question, and I am going to start using Facebook to only keep in touch with those I wouldn't be able to find otherwise. And Twitter, well I think I am going to start using my Twitter account to keep the world updated on the size, color, and consistency of my bowel movements.

Jaime said...

I don't "Tweet". But I have enjoyed Facebook to a point. I don't contribute much in the way of status updates. But I do like connecting with friends I'd probably never see (or really think about) otherwise. I also like the option to hide the lady in my ward who posts an infomercial twice a day to push her homemade handicrafts onto her fb "friends".

I love reading your blog.

Strude said...

On a related note, watching CNN this morning and part of the news was to check Twitter and blogs for what nobodies were saying about a given story. Give me a break.

Jen Slater said...

A good way to get people to read your blog is to MAKE them! Ha ha...I'm newer to the whole thing myself and try not to get caught up writing about my every day boring life..but stick to current events or funny things that have happened. Anyhoo, I email everyone on my contact list the link to my blog and post a new link on my Facebook page every time I update it. Then I harass and browbeat everyone I know to read it...it's worked so far! So ya, good luck! (Now you have 7 comments)

Elisha'Lilly said...

now eight (: yeh i agree blogging is so much better than twitter cos on twitter its like no ones really bothered what you're on about wheras on a blog you choose to read it so you must be interested