Sunday, June 10, 2007

So Tolley got Married - State of the Soul Part Two

It seems like just a little while ago that we were coming home from downtown listening to And Out Come Wolves. We talked about how at the moment the only thing we needed was to listen to Rancid with the windows rolled down and a pal.


Give’em the boot. The roots. The Radicals. Give’em the boot. You know I’m a radical. Give’em the boot. The roots. The reggae on my stereo.


But dude, I think that was two years ago. Crazy, huh? You left that place a long time ago. I did too, and now I came back. It has changed a bit since we left, man. It’s not really better or worse, it has just changed and it was better with you here.


Some grow up and some grow old, but what about the kid who never learned the rules? Spent all these years on this earth, when you look back it’s just a flicker of time.


It is crazy to think that I might not ever see you again. You go back to Hawaii, then you will get a job in California. You have kicked life in full gear and I bet that has to feel pretty good, huh? I am pretty excited for you. You are very capable and I know you will be successful, but I guess if I want to live in your basement I need to move to California, eh?


Reconcile to the belief consumed in sacred ground for me. There wasn’t always a place to go but there was always an urgent need to belong. All these bands and all these people, all these friends and we were equals, but what ya gonna do when everyone goes on without you? To the end, I’ll journey to the end.


I know sometimes I am not the easiest person to get along with, but you did a kick-ass job of being my friend. I will be forever thankful for that.


Somewhere in America, through the city at night, we were far from home, but you knew it was gonna be alright.
Unfortunate get prayed on by vultures eyes. 86 cents in these pockets of mine. You can take my money. You can take my time, but you can’t take my heartache to the city behind.



Anyway, we had good times, great experiences, and an awesome soundtrack. I’m sad to see you go, but am so happy for you. You did it all right. See ya, buddy. Don’t forget your roots!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jer- its been a while since I cruised your blog.. You are a great writer and I really hope that you get to use writing in your career.. Dude I miss the Loveland, although I really enjoy moving around a big part of me just wants to move back to Utah. Anyway I will talk to you later.. I appreciate the post.