Thursday, November 02, 2006

Change - Blind Melon

I can safely say that this is the song that really got me into music (as my memory has it). This Blind Melon album was the first I ever bought. By that I mean my parents bought it--warily. I wanted it to listen to No Rain, and did I ever listen to it. I would listen rewind repeat. Eventually there came a time when I decided to see what else was on the tape and soon found Change, the song right before No Rain. That was my first true musical experience, where I found that it is just more than words and sounds.

I was little still, and I am sure I couldn't fully comprehend truly what the song was about, being that I hadn't lived too much of life, at this point just over a decade, and I didn't know what is was like to know that when life is hard you have to change because I really hadn't entered life yet, but I got the feeling of the song crystal clear. There is no language barrier in music. I think I thought that once I got into life this is what it had to be like. Now that I have lived a good portion of my life and have had my own ups and downs, I understand what it is like to be sitting in your own misery and unable to see the sun from your current vantage point. And while standing up and looking way up to the sky will solve your problem, and how it is easier said than done when you are comfortable where you are.

I don't feel the suns comin' out today
its staying in, its gonna find another way.
As I sit here in this misery,
I don't think I'll ever see the sun from here...
When you feel your life ain't worth living
you've got to stand up and take a look around
you then look way up to the sky.
And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
keep on dreaming boy,
cause when you stop dreamin' it's time to die...

When life is hard, you have to change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally fuckin agree... so much in fact that I have had the lyrics tattood on me. Some believe I am retarded. But, being 25, I have listened to that song for over a decade, and it NEVER gets old to me. It has always touched me, and only Shannon could have put it the way ti comes across... WE MISS YOU SHANNON!!