Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - Bob Dylan

A few good reasons for this one. The first being it is long. It is over eleven minutes long, That is enough for like three or four normal songs. This is the kind of song you would think people would pick. It is calm and somber and relaxing. I thought about all of these things while I thought about if I would want this on my deathbed playlist, but my main reason is the harmonica that comes in at the tail end of the tenth minute and finishes out the last minute-forty or so of the song.

It is Dylan after all and the harmonica is all over the place in his music, but to me this solo is different than the others, I think a reason is the length of the song. The first nine and half minutes of the song lead up to this part and the harmonica sort of summarizes everything that has happened up to that point. This brings me back to the language of the music: You have to listen to the entire song to get the harmonica. You could, I suppose, fast forward to 9:43 and just listen to it, but it wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't get much out of it. It would be like opening a book to the last third and reading a couple of pages. You could read the words but they would be out of context.

I am not sure what order I would play these in, but this would be a great song to end with, but I am still not sure what I would do.

No comments: