Sunday, October 29, 2006

Chapter One | The beginning of the start of the first part of my story that I will commence to tell you now

I haven't really talked to my roommate before this night. I had maybe said all of ten words to him, and he had let a few sentences slip out. I am pretty sure they were all about macaroni and cheese, and one time he came into my room without knocking while I was sitting on pot that everyone became so familiar with a few posts back. Trash was supposed to be coming over, so I opened the door expecting to see Trash. Instead I saw my roommate just standing in the doorway. It was freaking creepy. I quickly shut the door.

"Yeah?"

"I just paid the power bill. It was 58 dollars."

"So I owe you 20 dollars."

"Yeah."

What the dump? (Pardon the pun) That was one of the weirdest experiences I have ever had. I recognize that now as a foreshadowing of the adventures I was going to embark on with Ryan, my roommate.

I just got home and was about to start work on a paper, when he knocked on my door.

"Do you know anyone with a four wheel drive?"

"Phil in #4 has one," I said thinking that that was the end of the conversation. He wanted info and I gave it to him. But the conversation continued after about thirty seconds of the most awkard silence. I wished I was back sitting on the toilet with the door shut.

"I think he is home."

"Could you ask him if I could borrow it?"

"Why?"

"I got my truck stuck up in the mountains."

"Where at?"

"Duck Creek."S

o I mosied on over to #4 and asked Phil if we could borrow his Jeep. Phil came over to my apartment to talk with Ryan. We walked in the dark living room. I walked into the kitchen to turn on the light. When I turned it on Ryan was there standing in front of the fridge. What was he doing just standing there in the dark? And why didn't he say anything? This dude is creepy. Phil needed his car, so we asked some kid if we could use his truck. He told us we could take it but he couldn't come with us. At this point I realized I was going up the mountain with Ryan, and I didn't feel comfortable taking this kids truck because it was stinking nice, and I didn't know where we were headed. I tried to ask my roommate several times how his truck was stuck and how it was situated on the road only to get so frustrated by the inability to answer the question that I wanted to punch him in the throat. I did know it was in the snow. After about a half hour it was decided that I would take Phil's Jeep and he could borrow my truck. We borrowed a shovel from the hick with the truck just in case. We didn't, however, take his tow strap with us because Ryan had one in his truck.

No comments: