Sunday, October 29, 2006

"That's what I like about it. It's not so complicated."

This past Friday I went to see The Blackout Pact at Kilby Court in Salt Lake. I was super excited. I had never seen them before and had got their album last February, and it has by far eclipsed any other album in listening time since.

I couldn't find the venue, however. It was on a street called Kilby Court, which I drove past at least eight times because Kilby Court is a tiny alley way. Down the alleyway a bit it opens up and there is like a shack that is about the size of a four car garage, but with a lower ceiling.

There were a few people outside the shack. It was raining and was pretty cold. Someone grabbed a barrel and threw some wood and gas into it and started a fire. About ten of us sat around the fire waiting for it to start. I got to talking to a few kids who were from Vegas that came up for the show. I told them I was planning on leaving after The Blackout Pact.They had never heard of The Blackout Pact. I told them how cool they were and to get the CD. They had come to see the second band, The Draft, and convinced me to stay for them, which I did. (It is weird that for how anti-social I am, how easy it is to talk to my fellow concert folk, and how much I enjoy it. I would feel much more comfortable in a room full of these kind of people than in a room of strangers who were like some of the people I know best, if that makes any sense.)

On the smaller shack outside by the fire where they take the tickets there is a sign made out of cardboard that had "No Moshing" written on it. I soon found out why, because the freaking place would collapse. There were about fifty of us there by the time it started. The Blackout Pact set was awesome and I got to talk to the singer for a bit after. The Vegas kids were convinved about getting the CD. Then The Draft came on and I liked them right away. I got the CD before I left and have listened to it almost non-stop since. I am not sure what my favorite song on the CD is, but the title of this post comes from the first song on the album, "New Eyes Open." That is what I loved about the concert. It wasn't so complicated. Throw a bunch of amps and drums in a shack, wait for the faithful, and rock and roll.

I know that most people who read this thing don't like the same music I do, but if you have a sec follow The Draft link above and listen to "New Eyes Open." You probably won't want to go out and buy the album, but I think you will at least see why I like them.

No comments: